Perry County
Skip navigation links
About Us
On-line Forms

News Item / Announcement Details

Recycling Options



The following list details where Perry County residents can take hard to recycle items. Resources are subject to change at any time. Updates have been made to this document as of January 31, 2020. Please check the PCCD website at for updates and information about Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collections in the future.

Computers and Computer Peripherals

Most Goodwill Industries will accept computers, monitors, printers, scanners, and computer peripherals.

Local Newport store: 19 North Second Street. Call (717)-567-3020 for more information.

Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFLS)

Conservation District Office: Accepts only compact bulbs less than 8 inches in length. Bring to 8 South Carlisle Street, New Bloomfield while program funding lasts. Call (717)-582-5138 for details.

Bethlehem Lamp Recycling: Visit www. to order pre-paid shipping boxes to send any size used fluorescent bulb for recycling. Email or call (610)-838-7034 for more information.

Televisions & Electronics

Please call PCCD’s Recycling Coordinator at 717-582-5138 for more information. More information regarding PA’s e-waste laws can be found at Cumberland County E-cycling Barn: 1001 Claremont Road, Carlisle. Fee of $0.50 per pound for all items brought in. Will accept cash and credit cards (small convenience fee with the use of a credit card). Open Tuesdays & Wednesdays 12pm-4pm and the 2nd & 4th Saturdays of every month from 8am-12pm. Call (717)-240-6489 for more information. Dauphin County Solid Waste & Recycling: 1625 S. Cameron Street, Harrisburg. New regional program with Vintage Tech, no fees charged for electronics dropped-off. Must be on an individual basis, no large truck loads. Open Monday – Friday 8:30am-4:30pm, Saturday 9am-2pm. Closed on holidays. Call (717)-982-6772 for more information. Please follow the link for the Dauphin County Recycling website and the list of accepted items:

Used Oil

Local garages: Many local garages accept clean used oil. Call to verify.

Blain Tire and Auto: 304 E Main Street, Blain (717)-536-3318. Accepts clean used motor oil, brake and transmission fluid (all fluids must be kept separate).

Maguires Ford: 79 Main Street, Duncannon, (717)-834-3111. Accepts clean used motor oil, brake and transmission fluid (all fluids must be kept separate).

Rohrer Bus Service: 1515 State Road, Duncannon (717)-957-4774. Accepts clean used motor oil.

Smith’s Farm Equipment: 30 Auker Road, Newport (717)-567-3562. Accepts clean used motor oil, brake and transmission fluid, and antifreeze (all fluids must be kept separate).

Scrap Metal

Raven Recycling: 169 Sleepy Hollow Rd, New Bloomfield. Call (717)-582-4040 for more information. Bulldog Motors & Recycling: 668 Landisburg Road, Landisburg. Call (717)-789-3377 for more information.


Mahantango Enterprises: Route 104, Liverpool (717)-444-3788. Accepts all sizes of used tires, on or off the rim, for a fee.


The Giant Store and Weis Store in Newport have plastic shopping bag recycling containers.

Ag Plastic: Zook’s Plastic Recovery, 183 S. Farmersville Road, Leola, PA 17540. Call (717)-656-4422 for more information.

#5 Plastics and Products: Preserve Gimme 5, mail to 823 NYS Rte 13, Cortland, NY 13045. For more information call 1-888-354-7296 or visit

TerraCycle: Offers an outlet for a wide variety of otherwise ‘difficult items’ to recycle and nothing goes to waste. Instead of sending cosmetic containers, broken office supplies, wrappers & packaging to the landfill, they have a solution for most household trash. Their list of recycling programs is very extensive! This company strives for #ZeroWaste for all materials. Visit to learn more.


Rechargeable batteries: Can deposit at most stores that sell electronics such as Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, Staples, Verizon, Target etc. Call to verify. Batteries Plus locations: 2501 Gettysburg Rd, Camp Hill (717)-730-7472 and 4513 Jonestown Rd, Colonial Park (717)-652-1584.

Non-Rechargeable batteries: Are not considered hazardous by EPA and can be disposed of in municipal trash.

Mercury Thermometers or Switches: Accepted at the Conservation District Office on 8 South Carlisle Street, New Bloomfield while program funding lasts. Must be less than 8 inches in length. Call (717)-582-5138 for details.

Latex Paint VS. Oil Based Paint: Latex paint is water-based, can be quickly hardened with kitty litter. Can be disposed of in regular municipal trash as a non-liquid. Oil-based paints can be solidified with paint hardening tablets that can be purchased at most hardware stores. Can be disposed of in municipal trash as a non-liquid.

Used Cards (all occasions): Send used cards to St. Jude’s Ranch for Children, Recycled Card Program, 100 St. Jude’s Street, Boulder City, NV 89005. (except for Hallmark, American Greetings and Disney which we are unable to be accepted due to copyright laws). Only the front of the card can be recycled. For more info visit

Crayons: Crayon Recycle Program, Crazy Crayons LLC. 19315 W 84th Place, Arvada CO 80007. Only crayons made in the USA please. For more information call (970)-879-1966 or 800-561-0922 or visit

Crayola Markers: ColorCycle, details to participate are online at

Cosmetic Mascara Wands: Appalachian Wildlife Refuge ‘Wands for Wildlife’ will accept shipments of clean wands twice per year during the months of February and October only. More information is available at

Most Target stores have recycling stations where guests can recycle plastic shopping bags, plastic, glass and aluminum beverage containers, cell phones, and ink cartridges. Call to verify.

Perry County_RECYCLING OPTIONS updated 2020.pdf