Summary of Job Description
Perry County is accepting applications until 4:00 p.m., April 22, 2011 for a full time caseworker in Children & Youth. Starting salary is $15.02 hourly. Bachelor’s degree in a Social Services field with one to two years casework experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities. If interested, please contact Perry County Children & Youth (717) 582-2076.
Grade 12 2901
Position Title: Caseworker Department Children & Youth
Date: Reports To: Director
Purpose of Position
The purpose of this position is to investigate reports of child abuse and neglect, assess the risk to the child, and take appropriate action to ensure the child’s personal safety.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed and exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required or assigned.
These duties are intended to cover civil service positions: Caseworker 1 and 2. Caseworker 2’s duties are similar to those of the Caseworker 1, but the scope is broadened to include a larger number of more complex cases.
· Investigates reports of physical and sexual abuse of children and provides for the safety of those children.
· Provides general protective services including monthly (minimum) home visits with families, development of family service plans and family education and counseling.
· Performs service planning on intakes including the completion of intake form, determination of risk involved, contacting family by phone or surprise visit and determination of overall risk using risk assessment model.
· Performs foster care duties, including monthly visits, contacts with parents, file maintenance and transportation of children.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
Bachelor’s degree in a Social Services field with one to two years casework experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities. An individual starting as a Caseworker 1 would not need the experience and would generally be promoted to a Caseworker 2 within one year.
Minimum Physical and Mental Abilities Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
· Ability to operate a variety of office equipment including computer terminal (word-processing, spreadsheet and disk operating system software), typewriter, calculator, fax machine, photocopier, telephone, etc.
· Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and calculate decimals and percents.
Language Ability and Interpersonal Communication
· Ability to comprehend and interpret a variety of documents including abuse reports, hospital and physician reports, insurance forms, court documents, referrals, school records, policy and procedure manuals, etc.
· Ability to prepare a variety of documents including client files, State and other mandated forms, Family Service Plan and Amendments, risk assessment forms, foster home assessment, applications for medical assistance and AFDC; petitions for court reviews, court ordered home studies, chronologies and social history summaries, policy reports, etc. using prescribed format and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, and style.
· Ability to record and deliver information, explain procedures, and follow instructions.
· Ability to use and interpret medical, legal, and counseling terminology.
· Ability to communicate effectively with clients and their parents, police, doctors, nurses, social workers, attorneys, Judges, social service agency personnel, school personnel, and others verbally and in writing.
· Ability to work effectively in an office environment.
· Ability to work effectively in emergency situations.
Perry County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.