Summary of Job Description
VACANT POSITIONS: Perry County is accepting applications for a full time janitor/maintenance position. High School graduate or GED certificate, must have a valid drivers license. Starting salary is $9.95 hourly with benefits. Applications will be accepted until 4:00 p.m., March 11, 2011. For information contact the commissioners’ office at 717-582-2131.
PERRY COUNTY 1004 Grade 5
Position Title: Maintenance/Custodian Department: Maintenance
Date: February, 2011 Reports To: Maintenance Dept. Head
Purpose of Position
The purpose of this position is to perform maintenance and repair services for six County buildings and several vehicles. The work is performed under the direction of the Maintenance Department Head.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Repairs doors, windows, sidewalks, walls, motors, etc.
• Assists with painting projects.
• Performs minor repairs and upkeep of vehicles.
• Performs minor plumbing and heating repairs to County buildings.
• Assembles and repairs furniture, as required or necessary.
• Assists in preparation and delivery of voting equipment to and from polling places.
• Performs mail, messenger, and custodial duties.
• Assists with snow removal at five locations; shovels, operates and maintains snow blower, truck and plow.
• Performs minor electrical repairs.
• Performs other minor jobs, as required.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
High school diploma or GED ; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge skills and abilities for this job.
• Requires the ability to provide guidance, assistance and/or interpretation to others, such as co-workers and the public, on how to apply policies, procedures and standards to specific situations.
• Requires the ability to communicate orally and in writing with supervisor, co-workers and other department staff.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools and Materials Utilization:
Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or provide simple but continuous adjustment on equipment, machinery and tools such as snow plow, snow blower, carpentry tools, vehicle tools, and/or materials such as replacement parts and maintenance forms used in performing essential functions, computers.
Requires the ability to utilize a variety of reference, descriptive and/or advisory data and information such as regulations, correspondence and general operating manuals.
Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; calculate percentages, and decimals.
Requires the ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Involves semi-routine standardized work, with some latitude for independent judgment regarding choices of action.
Tasks involve the ability to exert regular and sustained heavy physical effort in heavy work, with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing, but typically also involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and the lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials, twenty to fifty pounds; and may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials up to 100 pounds.
Requires the ability to recognize and identify similarities or differences between characteristics of colors, shapes, sounds, tastes, odors and textures associated with job-related objects, materials and tasks.
Ability to work under conditions which require exposure to environmental factors such as temperature variations and extremes, odors, toxic agents, noise, vibrations, machinery, traffic hazards, wetness and/or dust. This exposure may cause some discomfort and presents a risk of injury.
Perry County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.